I am about to bleed. I can feel it. My insides are wrenching, my energy is low and my mood… erratic at best. To make things more interesting, my little love, in all of her licking the floor, teething mania has contracted a head cold. Since she is such a generous girl, she has lovingly shared her germs with mama and now I am battling the onset of my own head cold. *Sigh* The whole world should just pause for 4 days while I sleep this off. That would be the thoughtful thing to do, world!
Since our planet just keeps on turning oblivious to my suffering, one must drudge on. My salvation today; hot ginger tea, cozy socks, cute baby cuddles and… chocolate. Oh chocolate, you gorgeous creature. How I love thee. You make dark days bright. On a day like today, I require guilt free indulgence. I’m simply unwilling to monitor myself. No no no. Today is an ‘eat chocolate until the pain goes away’ type of day. But I know that consuming refined sugar is one of the surest ways to exacerbate this little bug that I’m waging war on. Well, it’s a good thing that I happened to make some nutritious yet still oh so delectable raw chocolates last night. My subconscious is really looking out for me.
- 1 1/4 cups cacao powder
- 2 tbsp mesquite powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Pinch of salt
* For a little variety: a few raspberries, dried fruit, nuts, anything your heart desires
- Melt coconut oil and cocoa butter in a double broiler (I melt mine in a glass bowl that fits nicely atop my tea kettle. Fill kettle with water and boil.)
- Add honey and almond butter to melted coconut oil/butter and mix until well combined
- Add cacao, mesquite and salt in a spectate bowl and mix until well combined
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until thoroughly combined
- Add hemp seeds and mix one last time
- Pour chocolate into chocolate molds on it’s own or place a half of a raspberry, pecan, etc. in the mold first and pour chocolate on top.
- Place mold in fridge for 10-15 minutes and Voila! Pop those little morsels out for some superfood decadence!
This chocolate is putting a much appreciated, sweet smile on my face today. I hope it gets to improve your day too. ❤