Hello lovelies! I have been enjoying this past week down in Southern California with my family. It’s been a luxurious few days. Lots of lounging, talking, laughing… nothing special I suppose but it’s meant the world to me to be here for the holiday. Getting to watch my mama light up as she plays with my daughter has been so darling, magical really. I’m beginning to really revel in these moments and truly appreciate how precious they are. I’m not taking a single one of them for granted. My mother has been known to be a bit of a grump. Her life growing up was rough to say the least. To be honest I’ve never seen her so happy as when she is being a grandma to my Marvel. I love it more than I can express to you. My mommy happy? It’s just the best. If you haven’t gathered by now, I’m having a wonderful week. 🙂
It’s raining today in Los Angeles. The air smells of wet concrete and dried foliage. I sit inside, writing to you all while my girl naps, the sounds of my family screaming at Sunday Football games is ringing in my ears. I feel content. I feel at home. 🙂
My Thanksgiving dinner was simply scrumptious. Perfectly roasted turkey, creamy garlic mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, maple roasted carrots, green beans and my favorite fluffy gluten free dinner rolls. My rolls were an excellent addition to the feast. If you are gluten free and have been searching for a perfect dinner roll, today is your lucky day. I found this recipe years ago in a holiday edition of Living Without Magazine, I tweaked it ever so slightly and they have been gracing the Thanksgiving table every year since. You will love them. Everyone does… gluten eaters and non eaters alike.
Gluten Free Dinner Rolls
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons honey powder (or sugar)
- 2 cups heated almond milk
- 2 cups sweet rice flour
- ¾ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- ½ cup gluten free AP flour (a blend of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, fava bean flour.)
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted ghee
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Combine yeast, honey powder and warm milk in a bowl and whisk until honey powder is dissolved. Let sit until mixture is foamy, about 5-10 minutes.
2. Combine flours, starches, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Mix with an electric beater on medium-low to break up any lumps in the potato starch.
3. Add the yeast, eggs, ghee, honey and vinegar. Mix on medium-low until combined. Then turn the beater on high and mix for 3 minutes. Batter should be very thick and smooth.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush 2 standard muffin pans or 1 standard and 1 mini muffin pan with melted ghee.
5. Using a cookie dough scoop, scoop batter into muffin pans, filling about ¾ full. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and put aside for about 30 minutes or until dough has almost doubled in size.
6. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Let cool slightly and serve warm with ghee or butter.
This recipe is not the most nutritious you’ll find on my blog, this is true. But who cares? I personally cannot be sustained on veggies and seeds alone. 😉 My life is more enjoyable when it includes some well placed indulgence. ‘Everything in moderation, even moderation.’ I thoroughly enjoyed every delicious bite of this fluffy, buttery roll. I sure hope you do too. ❤