Flexibility is the personality trait that I covet most. Luckily, I am offered opportunities to practice my ability to be flexible nearly every day. Every morning I am armed with a list of my very best intentions and by the end of the day life has undoubtedly gotten in the way, repeatedly. Intentions are good, even necessary to create the things we want but without the ability to bend with the winds of change, we will find ourselves fighting a losing battle against the reality of the moment. Okay, I think I’m done waxing poetic for now. 🙂 I only bring this up because I started out intending to make a lemon caramel shortbread cookie bar, don’t even ask me what that is because I don’t know, never had one. All I know is it sounded good in my brain, so I went to work on gettin’ ‘er done. Without divulging the literally messy details, I’ll just say, it wasn’t my finest creation. Instead of scratching the whole thing and wasting expensive ingredients, I decided to go with the flow. I let my unsuccessful concoction tell me what it yearned to be. ‘Lemon Cheesecake Bite’ it whispered softly. When food talks to me, I listen. Don’t you?
Armed with my new game plan, I threw some cashews in hot water to soak, processed them in and 30 minutes later was delighting in my succulent lemon cheesecake batter. As totally scrumptious as it was, I decided a light whipped cream would really bring it all together. Oh boy, did this ‘mistake’ ever turn into a triumph. Thank you universe for yet another opportunity to practice my ability to change course when needed. This time I have some seriously rockin’ treats to show for it.
Raw Lemon Cheesecake Bites
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 2/3 cup dates
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until they form a sticky dough
- Press into the bottom of bread loaf pan, making a 1/2 inch crust
- Place pan in freezer to set for 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup cashews soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 dates soaked in 1/2 cup water for 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, more for topping
- 3 tbsp mesquite powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Drain cashews and place with all other ingredients including date water in a high speed blender
- Blend until consistency is smooth and creamy
- Pour filling on top of crust and spread out evenly
- Place back in the freezer for 6 hours or more
- Once set, using a shot glass, press little circular bites out of your ‘cake’ and top with whipped cream and lemon zest.
- Enjoy immediately!
Coconut Whipped Cream ~
- Coconut cream from 1 can of coconut milk.
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Refrigerate the coconut milk overnight or in a pinch, throw can in the freezer for an hour or so. Without tipping or shaking the can, remove from refrigerator/freezer and open immediately. Scoop out the cream from the top of the can which should have separated from the coconut milk underneath it
- Place this cream along with all other ingredients into a cold mixing bowl
- Using a beater, whip ingredients together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes
- Serve immediately on top of cheesecake bite, top with lemon zest
- Keep in a sealed container in the fridge