I feel like I can confidently say, nearly every human being wants to look their best. Whether you consider yourself a glamour girl, a granola girl or somewhere in between, each one of us wants to shine in our special way. People, women in particular, will do nearly anything to put their best face forward when showing up in the world, turning to makeup, expensive products and even resorting to cosmetic surgery. I’m personally not a proponent of going under the knife to attain beauty but I don’t judge it either. Each women’s body is their own and she is free to do whatever she wishes to it. However in the interest of looking at preserving beauty from a more natural view point, I’d like to share some easy, inexpensive alternatives to the more costly and invasive measures.
- Alternate between warm and cold water in the shower, ending with cold. This opens and closes pores which can detoxify the body. Alternating between warm and cold makes circulation move in and out like an accordion. When the body is subjected to cold external temperatures, the flow of circulation is directed inward toward the internal organs. As the outside temperature gets warmer, the flow of circulation goes outward toward the skin. This increases the rate of detoxification and moves nutrients more readily to various parts of the body. Ending your shower with cold water closes pores and keeps dirt and oil out after cleansing. Another benefit of cold water is it makes your blood vessels constrict which reduces swelling and the appearance of dark circles under your eyes (where skin is at its thinnest). This provides you with a young, healthy glow.
- Dry skin brushing- Dry skin brushing is an Ayurvedic practice that promotes a healthy lymphatic flow in the body by gently guiding lymph fluid to lymphatic drainage nodes. This process detoxifies the entire body including the skin giving you a beautiful glow immediately after brushing. It also encourages circulation by increasing blood flow to the skin which will release toxins.
- Drink up to a gallon of water throughout your day. I carry around a 12 oz jar and make sure to drink about 8 of those a day. Since starting this practice my skin tone has evened out and I look a bit younger as my wrinkles have filled in. Hydration is an incredible beauty tool. I think most of us are walking around at least partially dehydrated. I challenge you to drink more water and notice how your skin begins to glow. Point of note- don’t chug large amounts of water at once. This could disturb your electrolyte balance and be damaging to your health. Sip H2O slowly and consistently throughout your day and you’ll be looking more radiant in no time.
- Face cupping – Cupping is a therapy that draws blood to the surface of the skin to promote healing. Cupping helps the tissue develop new blood flow and causes anti inflammatory chemicals in the body. Cupping done on the face can reduce puffiness, reduce dark circles and under eye bags, firm jowls, plump up wrinkles, the list goes on. I do this therapy to myself a few times a week and have found it to be an amazing tool in combating the signs of aging. This is the brand that I use and I would highly recommend them as they are easy to use and fairly inexpensive.
- Use carrot and rose hip seed oils on your face every night. These oils are not only hydrating they are also full of vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids that are known to correct dark spots, fill in fine lines, reverse sun damage and reduce scars. You can slather one or more of these oils onto your clean face right before bed or you can make this face cream and incorporate them into it. Either way, your face will glow like never before. My skin has never looked as good as it does since I started making my own face cream with these nourishing powerhouse oils.
I believe that beauty is all about radiating from the inside out. That means, eating nourishing whole foods, exercising consistently, feeding your spirit and helping/giving to others. As long as you are doing these things you will surely be glowing… but if you still need a little help, the above natural methods should do the trick. 😉
XO ~ Sam